Traumatic dental injuries: endodontic and restorative aspects
Tooth fracture can occur at any age due to falls, sports, traffic accidents or foreign objects striking the teeth. The consequence of such an impact on a tooth varies from mild enamel chipping to complex crown-root fractures that require a multi-disciplinary approach. The first part of this presentation will focus on current treatment approaches for crown, crown-root and root fractures, with emphasis on the role of minimally invasive endodontic and restorative dentistry. In immature teeth with pulp involvement, the use of a bioceramic material is considered to be the gold standard. Marga Ree will give an overview of the current bioceramic materials that can be used as a pulp capping agent or an apical plug. Regarding the restorative approach, a diversity of clinical solutions is available, varying from smoothing out sharp edges, re-attachment of the original fragment or restoration with composite or ceramics.
In the second part of her presentation, she will focus on follow-up after trauma. Marga Ree has practiced endodontics since 1998 and recently undertook a recall of all her trauma patients, of which she was able to recall 80%. She will present her findings including some of the complications she observed such as pulp canal obliteration, root resorption, and failure related to structural or restorative issues. Careful treatment planning and timely, well-executed treatment is paramount to avoid further damage to the dentition. A variety of cases with long-term follow-ups will be presented.
Dra. Marga Ree
- DDS, MSc
- Obtained her degree in dentistry from the University of Amsterdam in 1979.
- She was a staff member of the department of Cariology Endodontology Pedodontology.
- She was a Clinical instructor in the central dental clinic of the University of Amsterdam.
- In 1998 she entered a postgraduate programme in endodontics.
- In 2001 she did a Master of Science degree.
- She is a popular speaker for dental and endodontic conferences, and has given over 200 presentations and hands-on courses in 30 countries all over the world.
- She is the primary author of many articles published in national and international journals and has contributed to several books on endodontics and restorative dentistry.
- Since 1980 she has had a private practice in Purmerend, which for the past twenty years has been dedicated to endodontics.